PHOENIX – Want to catch a fish, hike a nature trail, shoot all types of firearms, see live wildlife, watch exciting rock crawler and ATV demonstrations, refine your archery skills or witness exciting mounted cowboy action shooters?
Then get ready for lots of fun and excitement at the largest hands-on outdoor exposition in Arizona on March 28-29 at the 1,650-acre Ben Avery Shooting Facility on Carefree Highway just west of I-17. It’s free.
This year, the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Outdoor Expo promises to be the largest and most interesting ever. Last year, this popular outdoor event attracted 26,000 people.
“The word is out – this is the fun place to be on the last weekend in March. Your family and friends will discover a multitude of exciting outdoor activities and interesting booths at the Game and Fish Outdoor Expo. Don’t miss it!” said Information Branch Chief Bob Miles.
- Try out firearms from Sturm, Ruger & Co., GLOCK, and Smith & Wesson in a safe, supervised shooting range setting
- Have your kids catch a fish at the large kids fishing pond
- See lots of live wildlife demonstrations from birds of prey to amazing reptiles
- Take an archery class or try out 3D archery on a walking course through the desert
- Kids can shoot .22s and air guns while learning more about firearm safety
- Try your hand at different specialty shooting disciplines, such as cowboy action shooting, black powder, tactical pistol, plus rifle and pistol silhouette
- Learn everything you wanted to know about off-highway vehicle recreation. View quads, side-by-sides, and 4x4s, plus see rock crawler, trial bike and ATV demonstrations
- Visit with more than 100 exhibitors—sportsmen’s organizations, conservation groups, shooting clubs, government agencies, and commercial vendors of outdoor products and services
- Hike a nature trail/field course
- View exciting shooting competition by the cowboy mounted shooters at the brand new cowboy action riding ring
- Attend informative workshops on fishing, hunting, and wildlife conservation
- Get fishing tips from local tournament anglers and fishing guides at the huge fish demonstration tank
- Visit the enhanced Clay Target Center and shoot skeet and trap in a supervised environment
- Learn about all kinds of outdoor skills, including Stone Age camping
One segment being expanded this year is the Family Adventure area. This area was a big hit last year. Game and Fish is adding some new attractions, such as a fishing demonstration tank with local experts sharing their secrets on various fishing techniques.
So you don’t miss a thing, trolley transportation is available throughout this huge shooting complex, which is located on Carefree Highway, ¼-mile west of I-17. Just follow the signs.
Admission and parking are free – bring a little money for food and beverages, or for the nominal ammunition fee if you want to try out firearms on the range.
Gold sponsors for this year’s Outdoor Expo are Pierce Bullet Seal Target Systems, the Weatherby Foundation, and the American Red Cross, Grand Canyon Chapter.
There’s still time for “outdoor-related” vendors and sponsors to participate, but time is getting short and space in some of the venues is limited. Vendor/sponsor registration forms can be downloaded (http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/showcase.shtml)at www.azgfd.gov , or by calling Stormi Johnson at (623) 236-7222.
For more information about the Outdoor Expo, visit www.azgfd.gov/expo.
Media Note: We have lots of media opportunities throughout the show, or even before the show. There are lots of great visuals. Let us know your needs and interests and we’ll work with you.