Six informational meetings to be held statewide in September
PHOENIX - The Arizona Game and Fish Department is seeking public comment on the draft “Wildlife 2012” plan, a strategic plan that will guide how the agency manages wildlife, outdoor recreational opportunities and its own operations for the next six years.
The department develops a new strategic plan every six years.
The draft document is posted for review on the department’s Web site at azgfd.gov. Six public meetings will be held around the state in September to provide an overview. Written comment will be accepted until Oct. 6.
“Public input will be important in helping us finalize the plan,” says Bruce Taubert, the department’s assistant director for wildlife management. “Everyone has a stake in the continued health of our state’s wildlife populations and in future recreational opportunities. It’s important to make your viewpoint known.”
Wildlife 2012 reflects the management direction the Arizona Game and Fish Commission has provided to the department for the next six years. The plan outlines priorities and strategic goals affecting four areas: wildlife management, off-highway vehicle recreation, watercraft recreation, and department administration.
“Wildlife 2012 is different from past department strategic plans,” says Taubert. “Those plans included a lot of day-to-day detail and were not very user-friendly for the public. This plan is much more concise, providing a broad overview of our goals and priorities.”
Taubert says the detailed action steps included in past strategic plans will now be incorporated into separate operational and implementation plans.
The public meetings will include a presentation on the planning process and an overview of the plan’s highlights. The meetings will be held from 6-9 p.m. on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Sept. 6 – Yuma, Arizona Game and Fish Department Yuma regional office, 9140 E. 28th St.
- Monday, Sept. 11 – Kingman, Arizona Game and Fish Department Kingman regional office, 5325 N. Stockton Hill Road.
- Tuesday, Sept. 12 - Flagstaff, Arizona Game and Fish Department Flagstaff regional office, 3500 S. Lake Mary Road.
- Thursday, Sept. 14 – Mesa, Arizona Game and Fish Department Mesa regional office, 7200 E. University Drive.
- Friday, Sept. 15 – Pinetop, Arizona Game and Fish Department Pinetop regional office, 2878 E. White Mountain Blvd.
- Monday, Sept. 18, - Tucson, Arizona Game and Fish Department Tucson regional office, 555 N. Greasewood Road.
People will have the opportunity to ask questions, but no oral comment will be taken at the meetings. Written comment can be submitted at the meetings, or anytime through Oct. 6, by e-mail to email@example.com, or by U.S. mail to Wildlife 2012, c/o Funds & Planning, Arizona Game and Fish Department, 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85023-4399.