Arizona Game and FIsh Department - Managing Today for Wildlife Tomorrow: Arizona Game and Fish Department

Phone Number
expand icon eServices
expanded icon Newsroom
expand icon Hunting & Fishing
expand icon Outdoor Recreation
expand icon Wildlife & Conservation
expand icon Information & Education
expand icon Inside AZGFD
Inside AZGFD
Frequently Asked Questions
Relatively few human health advisories for consumption of wild fish in Arizona are issued. When they are, they come from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality and/or the Arizona Department of Health Services. The Arizona Game and Fish Department works closely with these agencies. Any specific advisories will be posted at the affected lake sites. Also, all fish consumption advisories are posted on the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Web site at under “Public Advisories.”
Any resident or nonresident angler 14 years of age and older must have in possession a valid fishing or combination hunt/fish license. Be aware that an unlicensed youth under the age of 14 is allowed only half the limit for trout. You might want to consider purchasing a Family Fishing License, so your child can catch and keep the same limit as everyone else. Learn more about fishing regulations in Arizona by visiting the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Web site at
No, each family member must have his or her own valid fishing license. The two pole stamp allows an individual angler to fish with two poles at the same time. However, children under the age of 14 are not required to have a license. If you have older children, consider buying a Family Fishing License, in order to save money. Rules and regulations about fishing in Arizona are published in the Arizona Fishing Regulations. Visit the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Web site at for additional information.
Label 4
Content 4
Label 5
Content 5

Can a family member fish with my two pole stamp?
Can I catch and transport live crayfish to my home to cook them?
Can I fish in the canals?
Can I fish with two poles at an urban lake?
Can I keep fish alive in my live well until I get home to clean them?
Can I transport the fish I catch to my home pond?
Do I need a license to fish on private land?
Do I need a trout stamp for my urban license?
Does a blind resident need any documentation in their possession to fish?
Does a person need a fishing license to fish in city parks that are not involved in the urban fishing program?
How many children under the age of 14 can fish with a licensed adult?
I want to be a guide. What do I need to do?
Is chumming (throwing an attractant into the water) illegal?

Mission | Frequently Asked Questions | Web Policy | Send Comments | Employment | Commission Agenda | Office Locations | Site Map | Search | © 2013 AZGFD