Did you know that the Arizona Game and Fish Department has a number of free and low-cost resources available to help ignite your child's passion for wildlife? Below is a comprehensive list. And we are always adding new ones!
These 1-2 page PDF documents cover a variety of wildlife-related topics. Your children will have the opportunity to read short passages and complete a variety of engaging activities as they explore the topic in detail.
- Focus Wild - Articles that originally appeared in the Department Arizona Wildlife Views magazine from 2006-2013.
- Wild Kids - Multi-grade level readings that were published until 2005.
Arizona Wildlife Printable Field Guides
Years ago, we developed a series of field guides for some of Arizona's most common wildlife species. Although these are now out of print, they are still available to download as a PDF. Some of the information, like the Department's address, is no longer accurate, but they can still be a useful learning tool. They can be printed, cut down, and stapled to fit conveniently in a pocket.
At times, we have computer programs that are developed through grants. When possible we make these programs available as a download. Due to the large size of the files, it may take some time to download.
- Exploring Arizona's Natural Resources [ZIP, 56mb] - This interactive program introduces practical knowledge of the diverse biotic communities in the state. To access, download and extract (unzip) the file, open the folder, and click on "ExpAZ.exe" to run the program.
As the state's wildlife management agency, we have lots of data and information about Arizona's native wildlife. As a result, we have different collections of species fact sheets, depending on your needs.
- Field Notes - A collection of one-page animal fact sheets originally appearing in the Department's Arizona Wildlife Views magazine. Appropriate for a general audience.
- Heritage Data Management System - Technical research abstracts on many of the plants and animals found in Arizona. Appropriate for high school and more advanced audiences.
Spatial representations can be extremely important in understanding wildlife movements, behaviors and habitats. As a result, we have a number of resources to engage your child with maps. First, we have a collection of Arizona maps that are designed to be printed on regular, 8.5" x 11" paper. Then, we also have a few interactive, web-based mapping programs.
- Printable State Maps
- Web-based Mapping Programs
- Fish and Boat AZ - an interactive map that allows you to view view information about Arizona's various waterways
- HabiMap - a user-friendly map tool that puts Arizona's wildlife data at your fingertips
The Arizona Game and Fish Department has a number of reading materials that you and your older child may enjoy.
- Arizona Wildlife Views Magazine - The Department's award-winning, full-color magazine that includes subscription information and sample articles. Subscriptions now include access to a digital version as well as the printed copy.
- Department Books - A complete listing of the books that have been published by the Department, including information on how to order.
More commonly referred to as "bone boxes," these trunks provide tactile resources, including skulls and hides, that will excite children of all ages. The boxes can be checked out from most Department offices and a number of other locations around the state. Learn more.
The Arizona Game and Fish Department produces an award-winning television show that airs regularly on PBS. Most of the episodes and segments are also made available to stream on the Department's YouTube page. Learn more.
"Thank you for the books. Now I can go animal watching." - Student
"We are thrilled to have discovered what a 'gold mine' of learning the AZGFD is." - Parent
Sign up for E-News