This web page includes joint updates from the Arizona Game and Fish Department and the Catalina Bighorn Advisory Committee on the Catalina Bighorn Sheep Reintroduction Project.
The goal of the project is to establish a self-sustaining population of bighorn sheep in the Catalina Mountains that coexists with resident predators without administrative intervention. Bighorn sheep are being reintroduced because the Catalina Mountains are a part of their historical range; the project is trying to restore them to a natural ecosystem that they were an important part of for thousands of years. As long as one of its key pieces—bighorn sheep--is missing, the ecosystem is in some ways incomplete.
Public records provided – materials from meetings of the Catalina Bighorn Sheep Reintroduction Project Advisory Committee
(Posted Nov. 6, 2014)
Below is a link to a page with attendance lists, agendas, meeting minutes and informal personal notes from meetings of the Catalina Bighorn Sheep Reintroduction Project Advisory Committee. These materials were provided in response to a recently fulfilled public records request. The informal personal notes were written by the Advisory Committee’s liaison from the Arizona Game and Fish Department. The Department is making all these documents available in their entirety in the interest of full public disclosure for any member of the public to access.
Questions and Answers about the Project
See more photos and videos on Facebook.
Project Status Updates
- Update from Oct. 27 - Nov. 12, 2014
- Update from Oct. 13-26, 2014
- Update from Sept. 29- Oct. 12, 2014
- Update from Sept. 15-28, 2014
- Update from Sept. 1-14, 2014
- Update from Aug. 17-31, 2014
- Update from Aug. 4-17, 2014
- Update from Jul. 21 - Aug. 3, 2014
- Update from Jul. 7 - Jul. 20, 2014
- Update from Jun. 23 - Jul. 7, 2014
- Update from Jun. 9 - Jun. 22, 2014
- Update from May 26 - June 8, 2014
- Update from May 12 - May 25, 2014
- Update from Apr. 28 - May 11, 2014
- Update from Apr. 14 - Apr. 27, 2014
- Update from Mar. 31 - Apr. 13, 2014
- Update from Mar. 17 - Mar. 30, 2014
- Update from Feb. 17 - Mar. 2nd, 2014
- Update from Feb. 3 - Feb. 16, 2014
- Update from Jan. 20 - Feb. 2, 2014
- Update from Jan. 6 - Jan. 19, 2014
- Update from Dec. 12 - Jan. 5, 2014
- Update from Nov. 19 - Dec. 11, 2013
Summary Table of Bighorn Sheep Translocation Efforts in Arizona
Click here to see a table of bighorn sheep translocation efforts in Arizona, showing repatriation areas, translocation years, number of bighorn sheep moved, and time elapsed until each population was considered established.
Catalina Bighorn Advisory Committee
Visit the Committee’s website
Forest Service updates bighorn sheep management area map; Restrictions remain in effect (Forest Service news release from Jan. 24, 2014)
Game and Fish Director Larry Voyles’ op-ed column in the Arizona Republic and on azcentral.com, Dec. 27, 2013
Advisory Committee's op-ed column in the Arizona Daily Star, July 5, 2013
Initial press release about the project, May 29, 2013
You can also learn more by visiting Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/azgafd#!/CatalinaBighorns